Monday, March 20, 2006

Lady Lace

I was walking along the short pathway connecting my block to the shop under the next block when I noticed a very faint shadow overcast. Looking up, the immediate sky was shrouded in the most delicate web, spun in an organized intricacy, sheltering the entire pathway, using the few spartan trees alongside as an anchor. The web looked divine, illuminated by the afternoon sunshine. It was curiously bedazzling. And then, along the edge crawled the spider, the homemaker, a very average-sized red one with a round bum. In its little leg, it carried the tiniest white lacy egg sac spun from the most delicate of spider silks. It carefully inched along with that one raised leg, and as I stood to observe, as if it knew I was watching, the spider started to swing the tiny sac like a rodeo swinging his lasso. Out from the spaces of the lacy pouch flung the eggs of the spider. I was rained on by these specks and I started cringing from getting spider seeds in my hair. The red spider continued to empty the sac by swinging and swinging it. In time, the egg seeds would sprout from the ground tiny red spiders, all waiting to do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home